More than 340 cases of salmonella have been reported since August related to tainted cucumbers distributed by San Diego company Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce. Seventy of those cases resulted in hospitalization, and two led to deaths, one in Texas and one here in San Diego. The San Diego victim was a 99-year-old woman who died three days after entering the hospital. Just today her family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the distributor. It’s not the only lawsuit the company is facing; last week a Minnesota woman sued for damages after she was hospitalized after eating salmonella cucumbers as part of a salad.
If you’ve bought a Ford in the last three years, it may have been recalled
Just under 1 million Fords were recalled in the last week of April for four separate issues. Including Ford’s recall one week previous, the number is well over that. Here’s a list of recalled vehicles, with a short description and the number of defective vehicles. (And no, the picture below is not one of the recalls. That was recalled long ago.)
Attention San Diego cyclists –
Trek Bicycles is recalling nearly one million bicycles across the United States and Canada. The part needing replacement is the front wheel quick-release latch, but most accidents caused by the part stem from user error. Even so, Trek chose to take dramatic action. Why?
Drive a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury automobile? Please pay attention to the following story.
The federal government has expanded its investigation into floor mats that interfere with pedals in 480,000 vehicles.
The floor mats — sold with 2008-2010 model-year Ford Fusions, Mercury Milans and Lincoln MKZs — can cause surprise acceleration if not secured properly to the floorboards, The New York Times reports. The floor mats can be nudged forward by the driver’s foot and can push the gas pedal.
Our team of San Diego car accident attorneys are always fielding questions about tire safety. Unfortunately, there are no laws in California that restrict the sale of aged tires. Yes, there are tire inspection laws… but they only test for wear and tear.
A tire has a life of about 6 years. During that time tread wears down, inflation levels fluctuate, rubber dries out. Older tires, especially if they have surpassed their expiration date, are prone to dangerous blow-outs and separation of the tread.
Monster Energy Drink is in the news with the mother of a teenager who died from cardiac arrhythmia last year blaming his death on the popular energy drink. A Monster Energy Drink lawsuit filed earlier this month alleges the teen’s heart condition and subsequent death was caused by habitually drinking the beverage.
19-year-old Alex Morris went into cardiac arrest July 1, 2012… and was taken to the hospital where he later died.
The lawsuit filed in Northern California’s Alameda County alleges Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster Energy Drink a day for three years.
Meanwhile, a similar situation is unfolding in Georgia where a mother claims Monster caffeine levels are responsible for her child’s chest pains.
“My eldest daughter started to complain of chest pains about six months ago,” Elizabeth says to LawyersandSettlements.com. “I mentioned it to my friend and she said I had better ban all those energy drinks. Right away I looked online – ohmigod, I couldn’t believe it. I might as well have given my kids a beer or a cigarette!”
If you have been hearing rumblings about a Suave product causes hair loss... it’s not just a nasty rumor.
A class action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of consumers – many from the San Diego area – who purchased “Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion 30 Day Smoothing Kit,” alleging it causes significant hair loss.
Plaintiffs allege they purchased the product because they believed that it would smooth their hair and coat it with Keratin, a protein found naturally in hair. Unbeknownst to Suave consumers, the Keratin treatment contained an ingredient or combination of ingredients (Tetrasodium EDTA and DMDM Hydantoin) that causes significant hair loss upon proper application.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has launched a serious investigation into several fires allegedly started by faulty KitchenAid microwaves.
The model in question is the over-the-range KitchenAid KHMS155LSS.
Officials says fires involving the microwave were reported in Washington state and Florida. In some cases, fires started when the microwave was not in use. Another microwave fire was reportedly caused by electrical arcing.
Whirlpool, which owns KitchenAid, says it has not been able to verify a single microwave fire report.
Christmas morning is filled with joy in many households as children open up toys and other gifts from Santa. But what parents don’t know is some of those toys under the tree may be toxic and dangerous for children. Public interest groups say toy hazards are extremely common and come in a variety of shapes and forms.
The U.S. Public Interest Research Group released its 27th annual Trouble in Toyland survey last month and found that children can be injured from small parts that pose choking risks, strangled by cords on pull toys, lacerated by sharp edges, and exposed to toxic chemicals.
A Marine woman driving on Interstate 15 in Fallbrook was startled by a loud bang. It was the sunroof of her brand new 2013 Kia Sorento. Krystal Miller says the sunroof exploded.
Krystal Miller told News 8 that as she was driving, she started to feel a lot of pressure in her ears. She said, “I was trying to pop them and the next thing I hear what sounded like a gunshot– literally sounded like a shotgun or something went off inside the car… a couple seconds later, I’m covered in glass.”
Krystal said a metal rod from the sunroof then came crashing down on her chest, “and I whipped the wheel, and I almost flipped my car over, because I was going 75 mph in middle lane on cruise control. It was really traumatizing. I’m just really thankful that my daughter wasn’t killed, or me, and that I was able to gain control of my car after the pole hit me.”