At the start of June furniture maker Pali Design of Canada recalled 20,000 pieces of children’s furniture, including armoires, dressers, hutches, and bookcases. The pieces were made between 2006 and 2010, and were sold across the United States and Canada via the internet, in independent specialty shops, and Babies R Us. A recall was called in response to a single incident where a Wendy Double Dresser tipped over because a restraining strap broke. No injuries were reported in the one case, and no similar incidents have occurred, and yet Pali Design is handing out a replacement part, indicating that they’re taking it seriously.
Since 1998, 637 children have died in hot cars, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The agency doesn’t track close calls, which can result in permanent brain injury, vision and/or hearing loss, as well as other serious injuries, though the numbers would surely be astounding if they did.
What the law really says and how that might change
Any time there is an outbreak of preventable disease in this country we remember that there is no such thing as a perfect vaccine. They can fail, if rarely, and it only takes a moment of exposure to catch an airborne disease from an incautious carrier.
According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), at least 17 reported cases of measles in the current outbreak occurred in persons who had been vaccinated for the disease, a tiny number against the vaccinated population, but they had taken steps to avoid the disease and caught it anyway. They are not responsible for their sickness, but does that mean the person who exposed them is?
The answer may be yes, if you can prove they acted carelessly.
Measles has been in the news since December’s Disneyland outbreak. At least one hundred and thirty cases existed in California and the disease spread to Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Washington state and Canada. The majority of California cases occurred in persons over twenty, and San Diego county holds the dubious honor of the third highest measles infection rate in the state.
The Mickey Mouse measles outbreak isn’t the only one, even though the United States officially eliminated the disease in 2000. It’s cropped up sporadically in the last few years, but an upwards infection trend could suggest the disease is making a comeback, with this and last year’s 383 cases in Ohio’s Amish community serving as a nasty reminder of what viruses do to unprepared communities.
Photo courtesy of the Public Health Library.
Christmas morning is filled with joy in many households as children open up toys and other gifts from Santa. But what parents don’t know is some of those toys under the tree may be toxic and dangerous for children. Public interest groups say toy hazards are extremely common and come in a variety of shapes and forms.
The U.S. Public Interest Research Group released its 27th annual Trouble in Toyland survey last month and found that children can be injured from small parts that pose choking risks, strangled by cords on pull toys, lacerated by sharp edges, and exposed to toxic chemicals.
Attention parents and parents-to-be! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced an important recall concerning popular Graco high chairs. Roughly 86,000 Graco Classic Wood High Chairs are beging recalled because the manufacturer says the high chair’s seat can loosen and detatch from the base, causing a child to fall. There have been more than two dozen reports of high chair seats becoming loose, and in some cases children fell and became injured. Graco says it has received one report of a concussion.
The recall involves all Graco brand Classic Wood Highchairs sold in three wood finishes. The high chair has a top seat, bottom leg assembly and removable tray. The high chair is sold with a beige fabric seat cover. The impacted model numbers are:
Abbott Labs, the makers of Similac baby formula, have recalled several million containers of their product after an inspection in the manufacturing plant revealed a beetle infestation, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. A handful of parents have reported finding insect parts in the powdered formula.
The affected formula was shipped to stores across the United States as well as in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The formula was sold in cans and plastic containers. Parents who wish to know if they bought the recalled formula can visit the company’s website at www.similac.com or call a toll-free hotline at (800) 986-8850. Both the website and the hotline provide information about which products were recalled and how to return them to the company for a refund.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently recalled over 1 million light-up children’s eyeglasses and rings, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. The toys, which were distributed by Chuck E. Cheese restaurants, were recalled because the small batteries inside may cause severe internal injuries if swallowed.
The small batteries, known as “button batteries” due to their shape and size, are causing more and more children to be admitted to the hospital for swallowing them. Although the CPSC has received few reports about severe injuries, ten children were admitted to a Utah hospital recently after swallowing the batteries, and one of the children suffered severe digestive-tract damage.